type ahead search and typing speed

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Fri Jun 29 10:17:45 EDT 2007

On Jun 28, 2007, at 6:27 PM, Jim Ault wrote:

> Without looking, I would say that you might be in the category of
> showing
> the match in a field behind/above the entry field, thus the user
> selection
> remains in the typing mode and the lookup merely updates the viz
> field with
> the closest match.
>
> How do you handle backspacing by the typist?

I simply delete the hilited portion of the name then pass it through
the rawKeyUp handler.

> What if the typist thinks 'Ander" is good enough, then decides that
> another
> char or two is required after seeing the match string filled in?

They can just hit tab or return and the name is chosen.

> Some programs show the choices in a dropDown menu and only do the
> complete
> if the user chooses, let say, down arrow then tab key (like Excel)
>
> Are you showing all choices or just one that is the closest?

I show all choices in a separate field that "pops up" beneath the
entry field. I had tried combo boxes but that was a mess that didn't
do the selection and scrolling the way I wanted.

Thanks for the feedback, Jim.

Devin