List Fields and clickLine

Randy Hengst iowahengst at mac.com
Wed Jun 27 12:05:39 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I've been lurking on the list for about a year and a half. During
that time I've been translating stacks I made using HyperStudio --
which used a logo-based scripting language -- into Rev. I pretty much
can now create anything in Rev I could have made with HyperStudio.
I've found (as you know) that Rev is much more powerful.

I've begun playing with list fields this past week and was able to
create basic drag-lines-within-a-field -- script. With the help up
Scott Rossi's getInLine stack, Jan Schenkel's dragDropList stack and
the recent discussion about colorizing lines in a field (thanks to
Jim Ault for sending his stack to me) I've been able to develop a
nice working version.

However, I've noticed an anomaly that I thought I was causing be
adding text and returns and removing characters in my list field.
However, I've been able to reproduce the problem in a new list field
with no additions beyond the default three choices.

Here's the problem. In a list field it is possible to highlight the
last line without the clickline reading any data. I've been able to
reproduce the problem this way. Create a new stack, create a list
field, drag the height enough to have room for several blank lines --
but don't add any lines of text to the default three choices. Use
this script in the field:

on mouseDown
   if the clickLine is empty then
     beep
   else
     put the value of the clickLine
   end if
end mouseDown

Click to highlight the choices to make sure things work as expected,
then leave choice 1 or 2 highlighted and click in the blank area
below choice 3. Using very small increments, click in the blank space
below choice 3 and move up until it highlights. If choice 3 is put,
try again using smaller increments. There is an area just below the
line where choice 3 will highlight, but the clickline reports empty.

I noticed the problem while using Rev 2.8.1 on a PowerBook G4 with
OSX 10.4.10. I've also been able to reproduce the problem using Rev
2.7.4

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

take care,
randy hengst