character to justify text

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Wed Jun 27 01:29:37 EDT 2007

I've followed this thread with some interest!  I have to say that I admire
the creativity of using a "glyph" to cheat and force full justification.

As mentioned, Rev already provides the capability to have a "glyph" without
a custom font -- you just set the imagesource of the space characters to a
graphic of the appropriate pixel width. The beauty of this approach is that
the underlying text data is not changed. You still have the correct number
of characters, and they are still spaces. It would be very interesting to
see this executed to see how fast it performs.

The number one request in the Quality Control Center happens to be report
#670, which is closely related to the basic issue here, which is a more
functional field object. Ideally, you'd want to have tracking, kerning, and
a bunch of other typographic affordances. An upgrade to the field object is
in the works, and it's non-trivial as it does have to work across platforms.

Until then, might I suggest a workaround which hasn't been mentioned, which
is to embed a browser. You'll be able to present text with full
justification there. It will be a little more cumbersome to code (and you
cannot edit text directly) but it seems to me to be the most robust solution
for the time being.