character to justify text

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jun 26 23:32:51 EDT 2007

-= JB =- wrote:
> I haven't really done much with HTML TEXT but that may be a way to go.
> One thing I notice reading the Rev docs is they offer HTML and for some
> reason Rev left out full justification with HTML.  Am I right that
> HTML has the ability to do full justification.  If so Rev purposely
> left it out so it made me not want to look into solving the problem
> with HTML.

It's not so much a case of Rev leaving anything out as it is an
unfortunate choice of terms.  What Rev calls its "htmlText" property
could probably be better called "sgmltext", since it simply uses the
same SGML conventions that HTML uses, but for a different purpose:

HtmlText was designed to provide an ASCII representation of all aspects
of a field's contents.  At runtime text attributes are of course stored
in a binary format, but one can use the htmlText to reproduce a field's
content with complete fidelity without needing to much with the binary
representation.  Additionally, since it's just ASCII, one can use Rev's
handy text handling to easily manipulate htmlText data to alter the
contents of a field raidly.

But Rev's htmlText property wasn't designed to support the fulle HTML
spec.  For the tables alone I wish it did, and perhaps one day it will,
but historically that property is designed solely to support an ASCII
representation of Rev's field text attributes.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal