arrowkey and selectionchanged in a list field

David Glasgow david at dvglasgow.wanadoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 25 07:10:08 EDT 2007

On 24 Jun 2007, at 2:12 pm, Eric Chatonet wrote:

> Hi David, Mark, Richard, etc.
>
> Le 23 juin 07 à 17:43, Richard Gaskin a écrit :
>
>> Mark Smith wrote:

>>> That's weird - I use this successfully in several projects:
>>>   on selectionChanged
>>>    showInfo the hilitedLine of me -- the handler that displays
>>> info  about the list item
>>> end selectionChanged
>>> and it certainly works with the arrow keys, without any spcial
>>> scripting....
>>> Is there some property of the list field that you've set or unset?
>>
>> I get the same reliable result here in many applications I use
>> list fields in.
>>
>> Dave, is the traversalOn property set?  The only way I can not get
>> the desired behavior is to turn that property off; with it on it
>> works like a champ.
>>
>> --
>>  Richard Gaskin
>>  Managing Editor, revJournal
>
> I have to apologize: you are right.
> I confused with a case I wanted arrow keys to act as a carousel
> then needed to script it.
> Thanks for this clarification.
>
> Best regards from Paris,
> Eric Chatonet.

Well I'll be jiggered! You are absolutely right!  Selection changed
by arrowkeys *does* cause the selectionchanged message to be sent

I read this in the dictionary (emphasis added):

"The selectionChanged message is sent to a field whenever the user
makes a text selection or moves the insertion point in the field,
after the selection is changed. *The selectionChanged message is not
sent if the user uses the arrow keys to change the selection. To
respond to use of the arrow keys, handle the rawKeyUp message and
check the selection within the handler.*"

....and believed it, so I didn't test to see if it was true, but set
about scripting the arrow key handler.

Now, should I feel irritated I wasted time on an unnecessary handler,
or happy that Rev does what I thought it ought to do in the first
place *and* this list once again comes up trumps?

I think this list tips the scale towards happy :-))

Best Wishes,

David Glasgow
Carlton Glasgow Partnership

http://www.i-psych.co.uk