For Each Anomaly

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Wed Jun 20 16:40:31 EDT 2007

>Down with the experts, long live the inexperienced

Fooey. That's a ridiculous statement.

Everybody's inexperienced in the ways of Rev at
first. And Rev isn't perfect, but neither is
Democracy or the English language.

For most of us X-talk speaks to us and we like to
code that way. A lot of people come to Rev from
widely diverse areas that have nothing to do with
'computer science'. So don't assume that anyone
here is 'better' than you at this. There's not a
person here that doesn't have 'holes' in their
knowledge of Rev that they haven't explored. You
just tons of free support from people that HAVE
been there. This very forum is one of the most
appealing features of Rev. (Down with the
Experts??)

If you're honest enough to call yourself a
newbie, then pick up whatever you call 'quirks'
about the language, stop and listen to the
experts and move on. It like learning French (if
one speaks "American" or vice versa) or anything
else.

You learn the quirks and rules. The rules aren't
there to get in the way of your productivity,
they are there to show you the limits of the
tool. Sometimes you have to take a couple of
minutes in this list and ask questions and not
depend totally on the docs.  Sometimes you just
experiment and get it working. There are often 20
ways to do the same thing.

So messing with the loop variable, I say again,
is long established rule in PROGRAMMING, and now
you know. You couldn't reliably do it in  Basic
on the Apple II, nor in Hypercard, and not now in
Rev.

  I'm sorry you feel bad that you didn't know. Not
knowing this fact does not make you
inexperienced. We all learn stuff every day on
this list.

For me, a Hypercard coder since 1988, the Rev of
today is the highest evolution of X-Talks - with
way fewer or no externals. But it was originally
Hypercard that put me immediately into a project
without touching the ground. I was using it
within hours. Z-Basic took tons of code to make a
window. The choice was clear.

--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o