Player/Image Object "always buffer" Problems

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Jun 20 13:37:52 EDT 2007

Recently, Dave wrote:

> This is weird, it doesn't work here. What happens if you set
> "alwaysBuffer" to true?

Works the same.

> I don't understand a couple of things about your snippet:
>
>>    set the currentTime of player 1 to (F * the timeScale of player 1)
>
> In my case the timeScale is 600, so frame number * timeScale would
> give values that are way off. I multiple by 24 which is (timeScale /
> FramesPerSecond = 24). In this case FPS is 25 (I'm hardwiring this at
> the moment since I can't find out how to get this info from the player).

I just used a relatively large time between frame changes so the updates
would be apparent.  Nothing to do with your code.

>>    set text of img _display to myVar
>
> is there a difference between this and:
>
>   put myImageData into image "ImageThumbnail"

The text of an image references both its imageData and alphaData.

> It would be nice to know what "alwaysBuffer" actually does. It could
> be that there is an old copy of the buffer being used, or RunRev
> doesn't think the image has changed.

At the lower levels, I don't know what Rev is doing, but again, alwaysBuffer
forces the player's content to fall into the object hierarchy of the card,
so you can position objects in front of the player, and thus play content
behind native Rev objects.  When the alwaysBuffer is false, the players
content plays (to use an old Director-ism) direct-to-screen, so the player's
content temporarily overlaps any object in front of the player.

Setting the alwaysBuffer of images should not affect what you are doing.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design