Player/Image Object "always buffer" Problems

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Jun 20 07:41:13 EDT 2007

Recently, Dave wrote:

> I've had this before and found that the "always buffer" property has
> to be set correctly for it to work. However, as far as I know, the
> "always buffer" on the Player object should be set to true, but when
> I do this RunRev Crashes. Why is this?

Can't tell you why Rev crashes but, for the most part, setting the
alwaysBuffer of a player will often degrade playback performance since Rev
tries to layer the player's content like an object.

I tried a simple test with a MOV file and got what I think are the results
you're aiming for.  I used the following script in a button with the
alwaysBuffer of the player set to false and the controller hidden.

on mouseUp
  repeat with F = 1 to 20
   set the currentTime of player 1 to (F * the timeScale of player 1)
   export snapshot from rect (rect of player 1) of player 1 to myVar as JPEG
   set text of img _display to myVar
   wait 30 with messages
  end repeat
end mouseUp

On my end (OS X 10.4.9, Rev 2.8.1), the display image updates every half
second with each frame captured from the movie.  Appeared to work with both
JPEG and PNG export.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director