Revolution Freezing or Quitting Unexpectedly

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Jun 19 22:05:36 EDT 2007

Shari wrote:

> As I use a different IDE to build the standalone, I do not know if the
> actual Rev standalone builder customizes it now so that we don't have
> to.

Rev has created customized plist files for quite a while now. You
shouldn't have to do anything except set the info in the Standalone
Settings.

> So you think it's an image issue, where it's not finding the image and
> quits?  I could write a handler that goes thru all the code for image
> names and builds a list, then matches that to the actual images and see
> if there is a discrepancy.

Probably no need, I don't think that's what's wrong. Conflicting IDs may
display the wrong image but I don't think they crash. Missing images
have never crashed for me either. But "bad" images have.

Looking at the crash log you posted, there does seem to be a problem
with an image display, but I'm no expert on crash logs. Really what you
need to do is run this past the team via a bug report. Crashes are never
the fault of your script, all crashes are engine-related and need to be
fixed. But it may be possible to work around the crash by re-scripting
or by using a different image.

There used to be a crashing bug (I thought it was fixed now though)
where a corrupted or non-standard image could bring down the engine.
That might be what's happening here. The solution is to delete the image
and re-import, preferably in a different format or else created by a
different program. Some Photoshop jpgs gave me trouble once, but the
same ones saved in Graphic Converter worked okay. Or try swapping jpgs
for gifs, or vice versa.

Identifying the image may be the hard part though, and even if you can,
it may not be what's wrong. If your scripts resize an image when the
stack opens, that's the first image I'd look at. You could comment out
any resizing commands and see if the crash stops.

Somebody here probably can read these crash logs better than I can,
maybe they'll take a look.

> I wonder if Rev changed anything regarding image numbers...

I don't think so. I don't think this is ID-related anyway, I think the
error is in the resizing command. Something about one of your images is
choking the engine.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com