check for updates button

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Sat Jun 16 09:53:37 EDT 2007

I really do not see any reason to use a plugin/external in rev for
checking for a new version. All it takes is some thought about protocol
and something similar to the following code:

constant AppVersion = "129" --current version = 1.2.9

on mouseUp
   if url "http://yourHost.com/AppName/version.txt" > AppVersion then
     answer "You're an outdated minion, await the disposal team!"
   else
     answer "You are a current minion, no termination for you... yet."
   end if
end mouseUp

Of course you could add handling for connection errors and other fancy
stuff, but if your minion can't reach the internet, you can't do
anything about it anyway. As with all features, you should value your
time against the possible gains, and in my oppinion, almost every
refinement of the above code would produce negligible returns, if any
at all.

cheers
Björnke