Answer Dialog Position, Again

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Fri Jun 15 11:23:21 EDT 2007

On Fri Jun, 2007, Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com wrote:

> Recently, Wilhelm Sanke wrote:
>
> > Here is the exact address of my stack that explains and demonstrates in
> > detail how to place the answer and ask dialogs in Revolution.
> >
> > <http://www.sanke.org/Software/PlaceDialogsRev.zip>
>
> Thanks.
>
> And for those who want to position dialogs within the Rev IDE without
> modifying any stacks, Jacque's preOpenCard solution appears to work
> well in
> a frontscript:
>
> on preOpenCard
>   put loc of myCoolStack into tLoc
>   get long name of the target
>   if "revanswerdialog" is in it then set loc of stack "answer dialog" to
> tLoc
>   if "revaskdialog" is in it then set loc of stack "ask dialog" to tLoc
>   pass preOpenCard
> end preOpenCard
>

> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design

As far as I followed the discussion you want the answer and ask dialogs
to be centered on a stack instead in the top third of the screen (like
it is the case on MacOS, I presume). In a previous post you had written:

> It appears centered in the top third of the screen.
> Clearly a default position, but I'd rather it appear within the rect
> of the
> top stack.

This goal surely can be achieved with a frontscript containing your
above script.

But how do you proceed to place the dialogs not just in the center of a
stack (as it is the default on Windows) and you wish to let the dialogs
appear at varying - but precisely defined - places on or even outside a
stack and this differently, i.e. if you want a different location of the
dialog relative to button A and another location relative to button B
etc. in order to place a dialog near to a calling button to indicate
from where the dialog was called or with the purpose not to conceal a
specific part of the stack - which may contain important information to
respond to the dialog - etc.??

The examples in my sample stack show that this is easily possible. All
that is needed is to add two script lines to the answer and ask dialogs
and then to set the location in the calling button just above the line
that triggers a dialog.

To implement such an enhancement for Revolution is that easy that I
wonder why on earth the Rev team did not yet integrate such a feature.

Similar discussions have come up again and again; they started at least
already five years ago.

Another problem with the Rev answer and ask dialogs is their exaggerated
size, in most cases totally out of proportion to the contents displayed.

Best regards,

Wilhelm Sanke
<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>