Impressed: it has been years since I've been hacked this well :(

-= JB =- sundown at nwrain.net
Fri Jun 15 05:30:02 EDT 2007

On Jun 15, 2007, at 2:11 AM, David Bovill wrote:

> Woke up this morning and like everyone here kind enough to comment
> - I don't
> really believe what happened.
>
> It is definitely not physical access though. The machine is locked
> in my
> flat and sad as it may seem - I've not had a vistitor in a week :)
>
> My favourite theory this morning is coincidence plus paranoia.
> Without going
> into details - 2 days ago I met a very very bright and interesting
> UK ex
> hacker - we talked a lot about various hacker stories and exploits
> - very
> similar to what actually happened to me yesterday - with the
> difference
> that... well this hack was a bit more multimedia with the movie
> sound clips
> about viruses etc... which comes to the coincidence bit.
>
> I was also doing research into video and Flash based projects, and
> with a
> tabbed browser I had 30 or so tabs open - my guess at the moment is
> one of
> those Html pages contained a hidden movie - harmless to all but the
> paranoid.
>
> Either that or this guy or one of his mates i met down the pub are
> as good
> as he said they were, and can hack "anyone".
>
> Coincidence or paranoia? I've got my credit card here - ready to
> recharge my
> Skype account, and would like to ssh into my server - what would
> you do?

Is the guy still around the area?  Maybe you should talk to him so more
but don't mention the problems.  If he is involved his curiosity will
get
to him & will probably casually try to find out if you noticed.  If
he does
don't let him know that you just caught him.  The moral of the story
is to
keep you friends close and your enemies closer.

-=>JB<=-