min() function anomalies

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 13 19:38:32 EDT 2007

On 6/13/07 4:07 PM, "Scott Rossi" <scott at tactilemedia.com> wrote:

> Recently, Shari wrote:
>
>> Am I the only one who has variables with commas that constantly change?
>
> Speaking for myself, I think it's a better coding practice to avoid trailing
> anything in a variable, because I wouldn't know whether the empty last item
> was intentional or not.  To take your script for an example, I simply add a
> line after the repeat whenever I build a list:
>
>  repeat x
>    put someNumber or someOtherThing & comma after myVariable
>  end repeat
>  delete last char of myVariable
>
> I do this for any list: words, lines, etc. For me, having a delimiter at the
> end of a list would be problematic.

I agree, Scott.
The only exceptions I found so far are tables and data lists that I gather
from web pages.  I need to keep a place holder so that sorting and counting
are always uniform, even if the web author decides that empty is good
enough.

This boils down to discipline and proper coding for the situation.  That
said, having code that works, then later versions of Rev spoil this in ways
you cannot predict or test, is very disconcerting.

Wasn't there something about 'cancel' and 'empty' after certain dialogs that
changed awhile back?

Jim Ault
Las Vegas