2.8.1 crashes (Preferences?)

Friedrich F. Grohmann shedrup at ms9.hinet.net
Mon Jun 11 20:55:08 EDT 2007

On 12 Jun 2007, at 01:29, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Joe Lewis Wilkins wrote:
>> Out of curiosity, shouldn't the old preferences work with new
>> versions?
>
> Yes, and generally they do. I did see one case where prefs needed
> to be deleted, but that was only when updating from a much older
> version of Rev to a new one, and only on Windows.

I don't think the problem had to do with the shift to a newer version
per se. There are a number of earlier versions on the same computer
(2.6.5, 2.7.3, 2.7.4, 2.8.0) and 2.8.1 worked fine for almost two
weeks before the troubles started. Could it have been some later
corruption? Only 2.8.1 was affected.

In the User's Library/Preferences/Runtime Revolution/Revolution
Studio folder, I found four items: active_version.txt,
revpreferences.rev, revonline.prefs, SearchEnginePrefs.xml. It was
revpreferences.rev which I removed, and now things seem to have
turned to normal.

All the best,
Fritz