Moving an Object into a Group

Francis Nugent Dixon effendi at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jun 9 07:45:15 EDT 2007

Hi,

What follows is especially for those UNSURE about objects within
groups, but I for one began to get sloppy as I gained experience with
Revolution, and I have sometimes the need to slap myself and go back to
rigorous procedures :

Make sure you have the "Pointer Tool" selected. Do not leave this mode
during the following sequences. Select "Stack Inspector" from the menu
and select "Basic Properties" in the displayed window, so you can see
what you are selecting.

type into the IDE Message Box:

1 - put the number of groups (do you only have one group ?)

2 - put the name of group x (1, then 2, etc. if necessary).
3 - select group "name" (use the name you got in the previous answer).

Make sure your group has a real name and not a number attributed
automatically. Unnamed groups and objects are a sign of an untidy mind
!

"Deselect" the "visible" tick of the group in the Stack Inspector
window (ALL of your group objects should now disappear). Don't forget
to select visible again, after you have identified the objects of the
group. This is very useful - helps put your finger on the problem.

It is sure that the field you want to put in the group remains visible
through all this rigmarole, precisely because it is not in the group.
If it disappears at all (at all), it may even be in the wrong group !.

If you have more than 1 group, run through the sequence (commands 2 and
3) until you have identified all the groups and ensured that they have
intelligent names (that you can't forget !).

Select and CUT the field you want to be part of your group. Don't copy
it, as you will end up with the field inside AND outside the group (is
this your problem, Gregory ?)

NOTE : if you leave the original field sitting ON TOP OF your "grouped"
field, when you put data into that field, you won't even see it, as the
data will go into the masked grouped object of the same name ! Move the
object. If you see another one underneath, you have an ungrouped AND a
grouped object of the same name.

type AGAIN  - select group "name" in the Message Box (the IDE often
forgets your previous group select, if you do something else !)

Select "Edit Group" in your Rev Menu
Don't hesitate to use the "Visible" checkbox to make sure you are where
you should be !
Paste your field
Select "Edit Group" again (to leave the edit group mode)
Use the "visible" tick of the group in the Inspector window to ensure
success (your group objects AND your new field should now disapear)

Clean up, save, and exit.

All this seems painful, but if you get into this habit, you'll never
have any more problems with groups and their objects (well, at least,
not until you start scripting them !).

I hope I didn't forget anything, and invite comments if I did
.....  and I'm running Rev 2.6.1, so if it's a 2.8.1 problem, at least
this sequence will help you see the problem a little better.

Best Regards from Paris

"Nothing should ever be done for the first time !"