Imagine a world in which HyperCard had been open sourced 20 years ago?

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Fri Jun 8 19:35:24 EDT 2007

On 08/06/07, Chipp Walters <chipp at chipp.com> wrote:

> On 6/8/07, David Bovill <david at openpartnership.net> wrote:
>
> In 2002, I built an website titled "RROpenSource" which had the ability
> for
> users to contribute Open Source RR projects online. Ready to launch, I
> disclosed it only to a few, I believe you included. If I recall correctly,
> you mentioned you were working on a similar project and requested I not
> release RROpenSource as you were almost ready to launch. So, it never came
> to light.

Ah - way back. though I dont remember anything about RROpenSource. Actually
I did set up a project on SourceForge, and scripted CVS integration into the
MC IDE, also built Rev based cgi site on SourceForge which surprised me that
they allowed it being so security conscious.

There were several attempts - some before this and some since. MC IDE went
open source, Alain Farmer started / continued a project as did Xavier -
honestly i don't think anyone was ready back then, and my judgement was that
without proper integration into the development environment this was not
going to take off without RunRev itself being behind it.

Maybe that was a mistake, and all it ever takes it pig headed stubborness
and following through - but without encouraging signs from RunRev itself or
a subset of the list - well maybe its not such a good idea after all?