Simple database question: tags

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Fri Jun 8 11:25:19 EDT 2007

google uses a filesystem... yes, that's no relational database. It's
not like GoogleSQL it's more like GoogleFS.

David,

First try to learn basics of SQL, you can go to W3Schools Learn SQL
page <http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp> then you can try using
RevSQL or Valentina to play with SQL commands.

What I do in your case was to have three tables

Table 1: the data.
In this table I'd hold the data, the real data, like in case of reddit
or delicious is the URL.

Table 2: the keywords
In this table I hold metadata, one entry per keyword, all unique.

Table 3: relationship between table 1 and 2.
This table just maps relationships between keywords and data, this
allows me to have a many-to-many relations where I can map a single
keyword like 'oranges' to many items such as all the products that are
orange-like and to map one product like 'maltese orange' to various
keywords such as 'make-nice-soft-drink', 'orange',
'expensive-outside-malta'.

I am by no means a DB pro or something like that, but that's the
pattern I'd use to hold data and metadata that are so generic that I
know nothing about them besides the fact that they might be related to
each other. If you know beforehand the keywords and can group them in
families or group your data in sets then you probably have a better
schema than mine that would speed your searches and use less records.

Andre