Imagine a world in which HyperCard had been open sourced 20 years ago?

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 8 04:45:26 EDT 2007

Chipp rightly points out that there are very many open source projects which
are started, and then wither.  He points to the 2,000 or so low activity
projects on SourceForge.  He could also point to a high proportion of the
distributions on DistroWatch.

On the other hand, in programming environments, look at Perl, Python, Lua,
Gtk, Qt, fltk, Fox.....   Look at their history.  They haven't fragmented
into incompatible streams, they haven't withered.

So what does the evidence prove?  Not much.  It might work, as some
programming environments evidently do, or it might not, as probably many
haven't.

Going open source is a bit like writing it in Perl.  People have written stuff
like this in Perl and its worked.  Others have written stuff like this in
Perl and failed.  Does this mean we should stick to writing it in C like we
always have?  No.  It tells you nothing one way or the other.  Do you have
problems with productivity?  Do you have the feeling that a lot of what you
are doing would be so much simpler in Perl?  Well, think hard about moving,
but think the whole thing through before you decide.

It just says, think through the open source question with the same rigor with
which you would design a program.  Just because its business strategy does
not mean its easy or doesn't require proper analysis.

For Rev, to go open source is not a simple well defined thing, and does not
just mean lets have anarchy and give away the engine.  And it does not have a
predictable defined outcome in terms of profitability that you can forecast
by looking at other projects.  And, it might not work.

I can tell you one thing for sure though.  It will not lead to a combination
of multiple incompatible streams AND a total lack of development. There's no
evidence this happens.  One or the other, but not both!

Peter