[OT] NeoOffice

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 8 04:15:24 EDT 2007

I work with a lot of .doc files in Bulgarian Cyrillic
which have originated with versions of MSWord on
Windows XP.

MSOffice 2004 for Mac screws up the Cyrillic.

NeoOffice opens the document up with the Cyrillic
readable and formatted.

Open Office for Mac is similarly reliable; but it is a
bit clunky because of the X-windowing thingy.

In fact most of my computer clients who use Windows XP
have recently transitioned to Open Office for Windows
and after the initial grumbles tend to prefer it.

I now have a series of clients who have been pursuaded
by myself to buy a legal version of Windows XP (and
this, in itself, in quite an achievement in Bulgaria)
and installed:

Open Office
GIMP
FireFox

and are considerably happier than they were
previously.

Frankly I would rather put up with a few glitches with
Open Source software than a few glitches with
something I have paid for. After all it is FREE.

The transition from P-Shop to GIMP is probably the
mosy awkward; but in the long run efficiency is equal.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.