Imagine a world in which HyperCard had been open sourced 20 years ago?

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 7 13:18:30 EDT 2007

Look, I don't want to get us off into off-topic flame wars, and I don't think
necessarily that going Open Source is the answer for Rev, or that it would
have been for HC.  Its worth serious consideration is all I would argue.

But you have to say that these remarks really misrepresent the Open Source
situation totally, and if you want the proof of it, just look around you.
Start by looking at Python, Perl and Apache.   Or look at the Gimp.  Or look
at such a massively complex undertaking as the Debian distribution (I mention
it only because its distributed elected management, so its classic Open
Source, and if it can work here, it can work anywhere).   Or look at KDE and
the suite of applications they have developed and integrated.  Look at Gnome
for that matter.

Yes there are Debian derivatives.  No they are not vapourware, no they are not
incompatible, and they complement it.  It is a different model, and it would
be more productive to get used to it and understand its strengths and
weaknesses than to misrepresent it wholesale.

Open source packages and development environments can be at least as complex
as Rev and have a continued history of development and enhancement, and be
perfectly usable and stable.

The world is just not the way you are suggesting it is, and it is so obviously
not that way, that there is little point in asserting it is.

Peter