There's no place like Home

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jun 7 11:13:57 EDT 2007

Eric Chatonet wrote:
> I think that a kind of brainstorming from different users and
> programmers (all have not the same needs) could be interesting to
> list features that would be nice to have according to three levels:
>
> 1. Beginners
> 2. Hobbyists
> 3. Pros *
>
> * Actually, pros don't need a home stack or are able to write their
> own tools (as you do and many among us) but this would help hobbyists
> to go to the next step.

As a big fan of personnas in workflow analyis, I'm immediately attracted
to your breakdown.  I think there's a lot of merit to that, which is one
more reason why any Home stack should have an option to not show it on
launch.

But thinking back to your earlier suggestions, there are some tools,
like component management and updating, which might be helpful to pros
in addition to links to any sample stacks geared for newcomers.

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned Rebol yet.  They had a nifty
Internet-connected sort of Home-like window that was the starting point
for their system.  I think there may be some interesting aspects of that
which might benefit MC.

> PS. As for the HC Home stack, I just wanted to point out it was a
> kind of automatic back script you can't remove :-)

Eric, with the great work you do no sane person could doubt your
knowledge. I merely wanted to clarify that any presence of the Home
stack in MC's message path is limited to what the engine requires, and
that I see no need to complicate that by adding more.

On the contrary, one of the benefits that keeps MC fans using that IDE
after all these years is that it uses a simpler messaging model with a
much smaller footprint, minimizing as much as possible the differences
between development and runtime.  Any further enhancement to the MC IDE
will continue to honor that mandate.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal