There's no place like Home

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Thu Jun 7 10:11:46 EDT 2007

The first thing I do upon launching Rev/MC is click the Tool btn on
the Home stack to open the Tools menu, then close the Home stack.

One thing I would not want is more front and back scripts added.  I
recently spent many hours trying to find out why my own frontscript
mouseup handler wasn't occuring.  In the end, I had to go thru every
btn (and there were a lot) that called my frontscript, and do this:

on mouseUp
    myMouseUp
end mouseUp

I renamed my frontscript mouseUp handler to myMouseUp, and it fixed
the problem.  But the problem shouldn't have existed in the first
place.

What was even more frustrating, was that my use of mouseUp in my own
frontscript has worked fine for years, and I don't know what broke
it, except to wonder if the newer versions of Rev/MC did it.

We don't need more frontscripts interfering with our own!  Vote = No.

That said, ideally Home should be used to make a first time user's
experience smoother.  I have been using Rev/MC for years, but when I
want to know how to do something new, finding the answer is never
easy.  It is not uncommon to resort to a list archive search and wade
thru hundreds of postings hoping for a clue.

If I've experienced difficulty finding an answer, being a long time
user, I can't even imagine what it's like for a new person
downloading the trial and making a decision to purchase.

There should be docs of the same caliber as the old Hyertalk 2.2
book.  That, and the Complete Hypercard Handbook, were the two best
sources of documentation I've seen as far as a well-written how to.
Every function and command should have detailed code examples for
every scenario of use of that function/command, and the info should
be easy to find.

NEVER assume your user knows xyz when writing an example or answering
a question.

Shari
--
Windows and Macintosh shareware games