Curious QT playback problem

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Jun 7 02:18:16 EDT 2007

Recently, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> This has been working fine on both Mac and Windows machines for several
> hundred customers over the last 3 years until today, when one customer
> says there is a playback problem. She's running XP Pro on a fast machine
> with lots of RAM. When she chooses to play a sequence, it loops through
> them all very fast, with no playback of any kind, until it hits the last
> one in the list which it then plays. It almost sounds like it isn't

Does your app play files from the net or from the local machine?  Are you
setting the filename to empty before setting the filename to a new path?
Could there be some issue with the user having their machine set to default
to another multimedia playback mechanism besides QT?  (I know this is
unlikely since .MOV is pretty much Apple-only.)

Not sure if this is related:
The reason I recently posted my jukebox stack for testing was something
similar -- it seemed that after several Web-based file accesses, Rev would
get "tired" and report the duration of the player 0, for any valid file URL.
I wound up adding a repeat loop that tries to access a "problem" file
several times with a delay in between attempts, before giving up.  The
frustrating thing is it's difficult to tell whether the problem is Rev-based
or server-based.

If you're accessing local files, I'm sorry, I'm not sure where to start
looking for the problem.  Unless you wan to go through the trouble of
sending the user a stripped down player stack that access just a few files.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design