WMV files on WIndows XP using Rev 2.8.1

Jim Sims sims at ezpzapps.com
Thu Jun 7 02:06:55 EDT 2007

Can anyone here play WMV files on WIndows XP using Rev 2.8.1?

I made sure the "Load QuickTime on startUp" box in preferences is not
ticked.

I then built my 'Splash screen' as I have done many times on 2.6.1
with success.
[tested builds made  on OS X and Windows XP with Rev 2.8.1]

I then used Rev 2.8.1 to make a Splash screen to open the
application, as I have done many times
with success on Rev 2.6.1

The first image/frame of the WMV video opens and is immediately
followed by
the Windows "Please tell Microsoft about this problem" window. No WMV
played.

This Windows XP machine plays the application's WMV video with a Rev
2.6.1 Splash
with zero trouble.

This WIndows XP machine will NOT play the application's WMV video
with a Rev 2.8.1 Splash.

Then...
I made a small test stack and tried to play a WMV from a player
object - first frame loads
and then immediate crash dumps Rev 2.8.1 [Rev 2.8.1 Enterprise  on
WIndows XP].  This occurred after making sure
of preferences, rebooting, being sure dontuseqt is used, etc.

I then tried importing a WMV into the stack and playing it - no success.

Surely Rev 2.8.1 should be able to play WMV files.

Can anyone here play WMV files on WIndows XP using Rev 2.8.1?

Jim Sims
Custom Software Development
www.EZPZapps.com