Curious QT playback problem

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Jun 6 22:59:20 EDT 2007

I'm hoping someone has a clue to this:

I wrote an app for a client 3 years ago which has the ability to loop
through a list of .mov files, playing one after another in sequence. The
.mov files are audio-only, played via a player object, and require
QuickTime. In the Rev version I compiled it with, there was a bug where
a playStopped message was not sent at the end of playback, so to work
around that the script gets the currentTime, checks every 250
milliseconds, and when the currentTime remains unchanged, assumes the
playback is done. Then it moves on to the next file.

This has been working fine on both Mac and Windows machines for several
hundred customers over the last 3 years until today, when one customer
says there is a playback problem. She's running XP Pro on a fast machine
with lots of RAM. When she chooses to play a sequence, it loops through
them all very fast, with no playback of any kind, until it hits the last
one in the list which it then plays. It almost sounds like it isn't

The thing is, she can play each file fine by manually choosing it from a
list, so the problem isn't with missing or bad files. They only fail
when played in a sequence. And it only fails for her.

She installed the program on her husband's XP machine and it works fine
there. The only difference she can think of between the two is that he
has the free version of QuickTime and she has QuickTime Pro. I'm not
sure this matters, since the files all play okay individually and, as I
understand it, the QT framework is identical.

Any ideas what would stop playback on that one, single machine?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com