Open Source (was Don't you just wish Rev would do this?)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jun 6 20:43:15 EDT 2007

David Bovill wrote:
> On 06/06/07, Randy Will <randyw at uwm.edu> wrote:
>>
>> What I see as an optimal model for RR isn't far at all from what we have
>> now.  I believe that the engine should stay closed as the core team seems
>> pretty well able to handle that.  I think the plugin structure and SDK needs
>> to be developed into more of a FOSS community (by this, I mean that Rev
>> should put some resources behind source hosting and versioning, something
>> like freshmeat or wxcode, forums with effective moderation, etc..).
>

> I'd go for that. Its a good solid option. They should open up the
> documentation as well.

There's nothing stopping you from doing that now.  Some already have.

Most recently, Bjoernke von Gierke wrote BvG Docu, described in this
week's newsletter:
<http://www.runrev.com/newsletter/may/issue27/newsletter4.php?id=n48641547>

I'd love to use it, but alas it only runs in the Rev IDE, and I use
MetaCard.

Some years ago I wrote my own shell which imports Rev's dictionary
entries into a single convenient stack, and with some help from Ray
Miller, Jacque Gay, and Ken Ray it's been keeping us conveniently happy
for years - it's named "mcTranscriptDict.mc" in the File/Extras/ section
of the MetaCard IDE working group site:

mcTranscriptDict.mc is fully self-contained and designed to run in any
IDE, so you can use it in Rev, MC, Galaxy, or wherever you like.

It has yet to be updated to work with the changes Rev made to their XML
format (it's just XML, why does it need to keep changing?), and if you
or anyone else here has time to do that it would be very helpful.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal