Open Source (was Don't you just wish Rev would do this?)

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Wed Jun 6 16:48:14 EDT 2007

On 06/06/07, Randy Will <randyw at uwm.edu> wrote:

> What I see as an optimal model for RR isn't far at all from what we have
> now.  I believe that the engine should stay closed as the core team seems
> pretty well able to handle that.  I think the plugin structure and SDK needs
> to be developed into more of a FOSS community (by this, I mean that Rev
> should put some resources behind source hosting and versioning, something
> like freshmeat or wxcode, forums with effective moderation, etc..).

I'd go for that. Its a good solid option. They should open up the
documentation as well.

I remain interested in where Adobe will go with Flex and Apollo. They say
they will continue to sell Flex as a commercial package. It currently sells
at between $499 and $749, and i would not be surprised if the price drops
hardly at all after they open source the IDE.

If I was RunRev I'd go for well designed products that use the engine for
the end consumer - along the lines of the current Rev Media, and support,
services, closed licenses and custom add-ons for the resellers and larger
customers. I believe that Richard was right about the dangers of the middle
ground in trying to please developers and hobbyists alike - the middle
ground is not a fun place for tool developers.