OT: Dreamhost FTP passwords compromissed.

Jim Sims sims at ezpzapps.com
Wed Jun 6 13:37:58 EDT 2007

On Jun 6, 2007, at 7:31 PM, Brent Anderson wrote:

> Where did you see this? I have a DH account and obviously I'm
> concerned about any potential compromise of my data.

http://daringfireball.net/

http://www.extrapepperoni.com/2007/06/06/dreamhost-screwed-the-pooch/

Quote from the web site above:

"Dreamhost Hacked ★
Dreamhost, in a letter to over 3,500 shared hosting customers:

WeÅfre still working to determine how this occurred, but it appears
that a 3rd party found a way to obtain the password information
associated with approximately 3,500 separate FTP accounts and has
used that information to append data to the index files of customer
sites using automated scripts (primarily for search engine
optimization purposes).

Sites that were hacked got a bunch of spammy links inserted into
their index.php and index.html pages, in an HTML block that started
with <u style display: none>. Dave Shea got hacked, as did a bunch of
the readers who contributed to his comments. Shea wrote to Dreamhost
and their tech support blamed him. Crooked Timber got hacked four
days ago."

sims