embedding a large number of copyrighted images

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Jun 6 03:32:29 EDT 2007

Recently, Nicolas Cueto wrote:

> An application I've made works with 1000's of images (and sounds). Up
> to now, I've used:
>
>    set the filename of [image object] to [file path]
>
> However, the copyright holder of the images advises me that, should I
> wish to share/sell my application, all the images need to be embedded
> into it.
>
> are there other ways of working with referenced images?

You can embed images in external stacks, so the format is protected from
folks exploring directories, but you can reference the images from within
Rev/your standalone.

You can also embed images into custom properties of external stacks.  You
reference this by scripting something like:

  put the uCoolImage57 of this stack into image 1

In both cases you can create arbitrary collections of images, of say 50 to
100 images, so that you don't wind up loading 1000's images all at once into
memory.

The bottom line is, though, that any image that gets displayed on screen can
be copied.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director