Don't you just wish Rev would do this?

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 5 15:38:49 EDT 2007

David writes:  "Both are much much harder in my environment with a pure closed
source solution - and it is getting harder."

The issue really is powerlessness, not just against the supplier, but against
events beyond the control of the supplier.  Hypercard showed one form of this
very clearly.   You can get orphaned as a user, no matter how much goodwill
and committment the supplier has.  The problem is that the number of
attractive open source alternatives of which this is not true is multiplying
all the time.

It may be very hard to make money by open sourcing your bread and butter, but
it also may be very hard to get your product to the scale it needs to be and
can be, while keeping it closed, so its not risk free either way.

If you were consulting to Rev, you'd say this was one that had to be looked at
very carefully.   But my goodness, it would be a bet the company kind of
decision.  Good luck, if you are thinking about it.

Peter