Mac UB standalones and OS versions

Jeff Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Mon Jun 4 14:10:47 EDT 2007

You got it... basically what you have to deal with are these
roadblocks to upgrades

-  cost of OS upgrade

-  having someone who will install it (k-6 teachers tend not to like
to poke at their computers and many schools have no tech support or
one guy  in the whole district to do it all, ill see you next month)

-  cost of ram and hard drive that may be needed by older computer

-  fear that older computers cant hack running the newer os (not
usually true, but no one wants to spend the money and have to explain
if the computer now runs slower...)

-  fear of older software not working on newer system (usually not a
problem, but a strong fear anyway)

-  strong fear computer might die in an upgrade (not rational, but
its there, backs into if it aint broke dont fix it)

i cant get publishers to take software that only requires recent oses
as it narrows the market way too much to make a profit for them.

I cant afford the full testing company for a full os matrix test,
usually can just get the biggies with the testing system i have in
place (moonlighter at an ed testing company

Jeffrey Reynolds
6620 Michaels Dr.
Bethesda, MD  20817
301.469.8562