Fields - WASTE

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 06:10:35 EDT 2007

--- -= JB =- <sundown at nwrain.net> wrote:
> In Hypercard fields were basically TextEdit and
> could
> be accessed with TEHandles.
>
> WASTE is a word processing program and I am not
> sure how it is done in OS X but the text use to be
> in
> a handle.  It was similar to a TEHandle but it
> didn't
> have anything to do with TextEdit.  Therefore all of
> the limitations of TextEdit could be overcome since
> all of the routines were written for WASTE.
>
> How are Revolution fields accessed and are they in
> any way compatible with WASTE.
>
> thanks,
> -=>JB<=-

Hi John,

If my memory isn't playing tricks on me, the WASTE
engine is a Mac-specific technology - I think WASTE is
used by SuperCard, which is only available for Mac.
Revolution uses its own cross-platform library for
handling field display. And that's something we can't
just hack into with externals.
It has its limitations (no paragraph-level formatting,
only basic table support, single alignment,...) but it
has plenty of features if you're not looking to build
a competitor for MS Word ;-)

Best regards,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports for Revolution