Mac UB standalones and OS versions

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 03:39:32 EDT 2007

On 6/4/07, Jeff Reynolds <jeff at siphonophore.com> wrote:

> Yes you will say this is not right, but its
> what you just have to deal with when working in the education market,
> like it or not. just a fact of life you cant change. We have found
> that a lot of home computers that have been handed down to the kids
> for their home education machine are in a similar situation. frozen
> at the os when handed down and no additional upgrades until they buy
> a whole new computer.

Simple logic really. If it ain't broke, don't mess with it.

If the schools/mums aren't buying the kids new software what possible
advantage could running upgrades do?

Assuming that everything is running fine now, doing an OS upgrade, at best
will require you to upgrade a host of software/drivers. If you lucky you'll
just get away with the time it takes, more likely you'll have to fork over
cash (which the schools aren't going to do) to upgrade at least one piece of
software that is now no longer compatible. At worst you'll also be up for
more ram :-(