Mac UB standalones and OS versions

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at mac.com
Sun Jun 3 16:50:06 EDT 2007

You can upgrade any version of Mac OS to the current one (10.4) on
any computer that can run 10.4 by simply buying the current package
and installing it.

This is complicated only in a couple of ways:
	1. Not all Macs can run 10.4.  Essentially any Mac (except the
original iMac) that has built in USB ports can. There is a chart
somewhere that lists this.
	2. 10.4 comes in the box on DVDs. Apple will provide CDs upon
request for folks who need them.
	3. Without upgrading hard disk space and possibly RAM there isn't
enough room for the upgrade. If you are upgrading both of those then
it probably isn't a big price step to just buy a new Intel based Mac
that has more of everything and is faster.

I'd upgrade my G3 Clamshell iBook from 10.3 to 10.4 except it needs a
larger hard drive. It should run fine.

In my opinion 10.2 was the first real version of OS X and 10.3 is
where it shined and became the OS everyone really wanted. 10.4 was a
good upgrade too but it built on a really solid 10.3 and I can't wait
for 10.5.

Having said all that I think there are probably still a lot of folks
on 10.2 that should be supported. I don't mind if 10.2.x is the
minimum version we should support.

Bill Vlahos