Isolating a pixel pattern in an image

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Tue Jul 31 19:54:02 EDT 2007

You'll probably want to search through the imageData of the image.
ImageData is a row-by-row format, so I would do something like:

1) Search for a row with one white pixel
2) Check that the following row *also* has one white pixel in the
same column
3) Check that the following row has three pixels in a row white --
and the middle is in the column from #1 and #2
4) Check for two more rows with one white pixel in the proper column
5) The center of the plus sign is the middle white pixel from #3

If you aren't familiar with manipulating imageData, there are a fair
number of examples in the list archives. I believe Ken Ray also has a
nice tutorial up on his site. In a nutshell, you'll be reading one
pixel at a time - and each pixel is represented by 4 characters
(alpha, red, green, blue). For your example, you'll be searching for
white pixels (0, 255, 255, 255) amongst many black pixels (0, 0, 0, 0).

Hope that points you in the right direction.