Indeterminate Progress Bar

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Jul 28 16:08:12 EDT 2007

Derek Bump wrote:
> Has anyone perfected the art of creating or utilizing an Indeterminate
> Progress Bar in Revolution?
>
> The solutions I've come up with are either an Animated GIF, QuickTime
> Movie, or via a script that moves the progress image automatically.
>
> Unfortunately they all run into the same issue... updating progress
> while the script is running.  Placing hooks into the scripts to update
> the progress do work, but it requires the need to constantly update the
> object, which increases the size of the script and is a relative pain in
> the *you know where*.  A movie requires QuickTime, which is not as
> available on Windows as one would hope.  And Movies and GIFs require you
> to create the bar for whatever size you need, every time (no resizing).
>
> I'd like something that I don't have to worry about.  Works right out of
> the box, and if possible, native for the OS.  Any ideas?

An animated gif should just run by itself without you doing anything.
Just show or hide it as needed. The default setting for animated gifs is
to run them in a loop at their saved framerate.

Alternately, there are pre-made examples in the icon library, they're
also animated gifs. Create a button and set its icon to one of those.
Then just show or hide the button as needed.

Rev's pre-made examples are a fixed size. If you want to adjust that, I
think the easiest way would be to make an animated gif that is as wide
as the maximum you'd ever need, import it, make it invisible, and set a
button to use the image as its icon. Then reize the button to be the
length you want to display. An icon that is wider than a button will be
truncated on both sides, so your button width will determine how much of
the image shows.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com