XCMD/XFCN on Rev 2.6.1 Classic

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Jul 27 21:24:18 EDT 2007

Ben Rubinstein wrote:

> Here's where we get to the problem.  I cannot seem to make a standalone
> using Rev 2.6.1 that can access an XFCN.  Searching the archives, I find
> that Tim MacKenzie enquired on this topic in February this year, and
> Jacque wrote:
>
>> There is currently no OS 9 engine for the latest Revolution build, so
>> you will need to regress to 2.6.x to get that engine when buildling a
>> standalone. Once you have that and have built the standalone, open a
>> resource fork using ResEdit (or similar) and install the XCMD just as
>> you did with HyperCard. After that, usage is the same as in HC. Just
>> call the XCMD using the syntax you used in HC.
>
> Seems simple... can't make it work.

It's supposed to work but I confess I've never had to try it. I've
always been able to convert XCMDs and XFCNs to scripts. The only thing I
can think of is that your external may not be the correct type. Support
for the XCMD interface in Rev Classic is limited to HyperCard type 1
externals (the very earliest ones.) Externals that are of the "newer" HC
type 2 format are not compatible. Type 2 externals are basically any
that were written after HC 2.0 was released.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com