"load URL" loads entire file in RAM?

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Wed Jul 25 15:12:10 EDT 2007

I have some questions about "load URL", the docs and my tests are not
altogether clear to me on these points:

1. "The file is downloaded into a local cache. It does not remain
available after the application quits..."

Does this mean the file is deleted from the hard drive, or simply
inaccessible on next run? I seem to have varying results :-o

2. "Note:  Cached files consume memory. To release this memory after
you are finished with a URL, use the unload command to remove it from
the cache."

Does "memory" mean hard drive space? Or actually RAM? (If hard drive
space, I suggest the docs be updated with this term, as "memory" =
"RAM" to many people)

3. (Apart from the answer to #2) I know "put URL into..." has to load
the entire file into RAM... where libURLdownloadToFile does not (and
so is much better for large files).

Does "load URL" need to fit the entire file into RAM?

Thanks for any illumination!