Firefox equivalents for specialfolderpath(6) et. al.

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Jul 23 12:04:12 EDT 2007

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:29:14 +0000, Mark E. Powell wrote:

> Ken Ray has a dynamite resource that cross references Microsoft CSIDL
> constants to specialFolderPath equivalents.
>
> http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/tips/file010.htm
>
> A few of these are folders where IE stores favorites, cookies,
> history, cached files, etc.  My question is, is there something
> analagous for the counterpart folders that Firefox creates?  For
> example, if I wanted to fetch Firefox bookmarks, is there a path
> statement that works across all localized Windows OS'es?

Well, the closest that I can see is:

  1) Locate the default Firefox folder, which should be at:

          specialFolderPath(28) & "/Mozilla/Firefox"

  2) Inside there should be a file called "Profiles.ini". Read that,
and it will contain one or more Profile sections (normally just one)
indicated as "[Profile0]", "[Profile1]", etc.

  3) Inside the Profile section is a line that says:
"Path=Profiles/<encryptedProfileName>" (in my case
<encryptedProfileName> was "j5beaz33.default")

  4) Add this path to the end of your default FireFox folder path, and
inside this folder is all the bookmarks, history, etc. So to get at the
history there is a file called "history.dat". So on my machine the full
path would be:

          specialFolderPath(28) &
"/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/j5beaz33.default/history.dat"

That file looks to be a variation of XML, so it should be parseable.

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com