paintCompression and speed

Wilhelm Sanke, FB01 sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Sat Jul 21 12:39:41 EDT 2007

On Sat Jul 21, 2007, viktoras didziulis viktoras at ekoinf.net wrote:

<Any pointers on how paintCompression works... Dictionary says: "When an
<image is changed with a paint tool, it is recompressed the next time you
<leave the card it's on". Is this also true if imageData was directly
<updated - i.e. image gets compressed next time I leave the card it is
<on, isn't it? Or is image recompressed each time its imageData gets
<updated ? If so, likely RLE is the fastest method to choose or is it
<possible to disable paintCompression for images to get  more speed for
<image updates or RLE is the only option to go ? Or if imageData and not
<the actual image is what is displayed on screen, then may
<paintCompression have no impact on how fast imageData is being redrawn.

<Best wishes
<Viktoras

See Bugzilla 5113 and my accompanying test stack
<http://www.sanke.org/Software/TestStackPaintcompression.zip>.

Handling imagedata can be up to 12 times slower with paintcompression set to PNG
than to RLE.

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke
<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>