IPTC data revisited

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Jul 19 18:35:06 EDT 2007

Mark Smith wrote:

> On 19 Jul 2007, at 21:55, Sivakatirswami wrote:
>
>> Sivakatirswami wrote:
>>> I asked this once a couple of years ago, I will ask again:
>>> has anyone tackled reading and writing IPTC data to and from a JPEG?
>>

> It's been mentioned on the list before, but it might be worth checking
> out the open-source ImageMagick, if you haven't already.
>
> http://www.imagemagick.org/script/formats.php
>
> If you scroll to the bottom of the page, there seems to be support for
> IPTC....

Right, i'll look into that again... I also downloaded the spec from
adobe: you have
to be able to (and know how to) write to any particular image format...
it looks
like a binary addition...

this is from the XMP specification for writing to the JPEG format:

(all mess up from clipping out of a PDF, you get the idea)

this is over my head, but seems doable since Rev can handle binary...

-------

JPEG
In JPEG files, an APP1 marker designates the location of the XMP Packet.
The following table
shows the entry format.
IMPORTANT: Following the normal rules for JPEG sections, the header plus
the following
data can be at most 65535 bytes long. The XMP Packet cannot be split across
the multiple APP1 sections, so the size of the XMP Packet can be at most
65502 bytes.