Need for Speed pps

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Mon Jul 16 19:25:41 EDT 2007

I think that when you refer to each line in a field as part of the
repeat command, like

repeat for each line tLine in field "someField"

you are effectively  placing the field's text into some internal
variable that is part of the engine's looping mechanism. I don't know
this for sure, but it seems as if something like that is happening.
What tends to really slow things down in a long loop is referring to
a field (or a chunk of a field) inside a loop, like

repeat 10000
   put field "someField" into someVar
end repeat

And in the light of what I just found with building big lists, how
big is your final output file? I think the speed gain from 'append'
only applies once the list gets really big.

best,

Mark