data loss in a standalone... a bug?

Dave Cragg dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Mon Jul 16 17:35:56 EDT 2007

On 16 Jul 2007, at 21:28, Michael Binder wrote:
> When I save data to an existing data file, I use this code:
>   -- the variable 'whichFile' contains the file path of the
>   -- user's data file
>   open invisible stack whichFile
>   set the custompropertyset of stack whichFile to "allDataProps"
>   set the customproperties["allDataProps"] of stack whichFile \
>       to the customproperties["allDataProps"] of stack "dataTemplate"
>   save stack whichFile
>   close stack whichFile  --the destroystack of stack whichFile is true

I'm assuming the data isn't saved properly when you do the above. Is
that right?

One possible problem is the following two lines:

    set the custompropertyset of stack whichFile to "allDataProps"
    set the customproperties["allDataProps"] of stack whichFile
to ......

I don't think you need the first line, and it could be the cause of
the problem (just guessing). The syntax of the second line (set the
customproperties["allDataProps"]) is a way of addressing a custom
property set without needing to specifically set it. The following
are equivalnet:

1.    set the customproperties["allDataProps"] of stack whichFile
to ......

2.    set the custompropertyset of stack whichFile to "allDataProps"
        set the customproperties of stack whichFile to ......

Cheers
Dave