Why Save the Mac Mini

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Mon Jul 16 00:48:08 EDT 2007

On 7/15/07, Peter Alcibiades <palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Look, here is what I don't get:  the combination of poor organizations,
> running Rev, and Minis.  In fact, it seems positively grotesque.

Hi Peter,

I think you would agree, the Mac has long been the perceived leader in
'ease of use--ease of setup' among all PC's. That said, it is also
true they have been a huge player in the K-12 marketplace here in the
US. My daughter goes to a school which only has Macs in her grade
(5th).

For many years, Apple has donated computers to schools. Because of
this, they have garnered their fair share of loyalists there. In order
to easily add another PC to my daughter's computer class, it would
HAVE to be a Mac. More importantly, the teachers know very little of
how to configure and run Linux.

I think what Paul Looney is trying to do with his petition is to
impress upon Apple the necessity of having a low-end solution. Sure,
the Mini is not low-end by PC standards, and especially not low-end by
refurbished PC's running Linux standards, but it is a product, which,
when purchased by schools, can save a few bucks over the more
expensive Mac offerings. And some schools have no other options than
Macs for certain classrooms.

best,

Chipp