OT - Save the Mac Mini

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Fri Jul 13 00:49:05 EDT 2007

Ask Andre or Chris how satisfied they are with the 'Quality' issues of
their Apple products;-)

Kidding aside, Apple makes a good product. But, I don't think it's any
better quality-wise than the other tier one manufacturers.

Being involved quite awhile ago in the industrial design of computers,
including Apple, Dell, Compaq, Toshiba, Sony, IBM and TI-- Apple
actually had a poorer track record on portables and transportables
than the other guys. I believe they've caught up-- but I certainly
wouldn't say they've passed the rest.

But, they've ALWAYS had an edge over everyone, except Sony, in design.
No question- hands down. Jobs made it very important to do so.
Unfortunately good Industrial Design doesn't always equate to a robust
mechanical design.

Currently, I believe quality is really a case-by-case issue for top
tier manufacturers. I don't recognize a discounted E-machine as a top
tier product. I would expect an Apple product, or DELL, or Sony to
compete similarly with regard to quality, with an E-Machines product
(or Gateway) falling a bit lower. Though the MTBF for components is SO
MUCH better than it used to be, many of the poorer quality machines
have very good service records these days.

And, with the cost of computers falling so quickly, they probably no
longer need to be running in 5 to 10 years. It would make more sense
for designers to focus some effort on the recyclability of the
product.

Oh, and has anyone seen the Asus EEE machine yet? For crying out loud,
a full laptop computer running Linux for under $200! I'll buy one, put
RR on it and have a dedicated Linux development machine. If you
haven't seen this one--you gotta check it out:

http://tinyurl.com/2f356j

-Chipp