launch app from browser

Lars Brehmer larsbrehmer at mac.com
Wed Jul 11 08:04:55 EDT 2007

Thanks for the quick reply Stephen!

however;

>> Quick, easy question;
>>
>> I need to launch a standalone from within a web browser,
>>

> Why?

The "why" is easy.  A publisher making a multi-media language course
is interested in integrating a vocabulary trainer of mine into their
project.  Their project is not a web app, but it is done in html and
runs locally on the user's machine in their web browser.  My app is a
standalone and wouldn't run in the browser, of course, but it makes
sense to me to be able to click a button or link in the language
course html document that launches it.  I guess this is just to allow
the user to lauch my trainer without navigating to it in the start
menu or finder. Again, I know absolutely no html or java or the like,
but I somehow assume there is a way to do this, just like clicking an
e-mail address on a web page launches your mail app, or clicking on a
link to an h.264 video on a web site launches Quicktime Player
locally, or clicking a download link on the Veoh site launches Veoh
player.  And in these three cases a file path is not necessary,
although if a file path IS necessary, that wouldn't be a problem,
since their installer would also install my app, so the file path is
known.

I do use Dreamweaver/Fireworks and have searched through their help
files for this and found no hint.  And since opening an app via start
menu - dock - finder etc. is as basic as it gets, I guess this is not
a big deal.  It is, however, a nice little convenience for the user,
so I thought I'd try to see whether it is indeed possible.  Any advice?

Cheers,

Lars