scripting challenge Contest ?

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Thu Jul 5 15:21:37 EDT 2007

Hi Hugh,

I actually saw this thread on the Metacard list, but didn't have a
moment to really think about it. I'm not sure I understand completely
the "must handle all punctuation" part, but regardless it might get
the ball rolling for me to post a simple approach and you can tell me
the flaws =). This is only lightly tested, but maybe it's close? This
basically tries to strip and normalize all punctuation first, and
then search for a whole match.

function wholeFindIt sourceText, findThis
      ## remove punctuation from both source and chunk to find
      ## commas, colons, semicolons exclamations, periods, questions,
new lines

     repeat for each char c in (";:.,!?"&return)
         replace c with space in sourceText
         replace c with space in findThis
     end repeat

      ## replace hyphens followed by spaces
      ## "I like you- are you single?" => "I like you are you single"
      ## "I like super-fast ultra-cars!" => unchanged

      replace ("-"&space) with space in sourceText
      replace ("-"&space) with space in findThis

      ## normalize multiple spaces down to one

      repeat while (offset(space&space, sourceText) > 0)
           replace (space&space) with space in sourceText
      end repeat

      repeat while (offset(space&space, findThis) > 0)
           replace (space&space) with space in findThis
      end repeat

      ## pad everything with spaces to get whole word matches

      if (char 1 of sourceText is not space) then put space before
sourceText
      if (char -1 of sourceText is not space) then put space after
sourceText

      if (char 1 of findThis is not space) then put space before
findThis
      if (char -1 of findThis is not space) then put space after
findThis

      ## search!
      return (offset(findThis, sourceText) > 0)

end wholeFindIt