What I did with Rev last night

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Jul 5 13:36:45 EDT 2007

Judy Perry wrote:
> It may take some time.  I think I remember reading somewhere that birds
> even practice their songs in their sleep.  I think the researchers
> monitored brain waves or some such thing to show that the birds would
> silently rehearse in their sleep.

Even more trivia: birds only sleep half their brains at a time. One eye
generally stays open. Though the original study was on ducks, I saw this
repeatedly with my cockatiel, who always slept with his "outside" eye
(the one toward the window) open. (Past tense, because the sweet thing
passed away a few weeks ago at the grand old age of 11.)

My canary is tweeping little experimental snatches of tunes today. His
mourning dove call took about 3 weeks to perfect, so I'll give him some
time.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com