Infinity Char on Windows

Mark Greenberg markgreenberg at cox.net
Tue Jan 30 19:51:17 EST 2007

Thanks for the responses.  I haven't had a chance to sit down and try
the solutions yet, but between the HTML entity code and  the Symbols
font I should be able to make it work.  Thanks Devin and Ken.
Jeanne, to answer your question, the infinity sign is placed in a
field when the user hits the space bar, so I handle the MouseDown
message to insert it.  The same field has to be able to handle
numbers as well.  I've got three fields for user input (via key
capture first) and two static fields that combine to show the range
or domain of a function:  43 < x < 144.  A very preliminary attempt
to use the Symbol font made an infinity that was too small and too
low to look good in the math expression, but I can massage that with
TextShift and TextSize.

Rather than scripting font, size, and shift changes to the field, and
then back again every time the user types infinity, I might be able
to achieve the same effect by putting a permanent infinity behind the
field, and hiding the field if the user types the space bar.  Hm...
You guys (and gals) are a great help!  Even if I don't end up using
your solutions directly, they cause me to eventually solve the
problem one way or another.  I love this list.

Thanks again,
		Mark