[OT] Building Mac Installers

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Jan 30 15:00:55 EST 2007

On Jan 30, 2007, at 11:21 AM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> Scott,
> Let us know what you find out!
> I would like a Mac installer which would do the following:
>
> 1) Create an Internet compatible DMG
> 2) Create an install finder window like:
> http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/StandaloneBuilderTutorial/16.jpg
> 3) Display the README.txt and LICENSE.txt files BEFORE allowing
> install
> (with checkboxes of course)
> 4) Extra bonus points if it actually installs anything. For some
> reason,
> Apple thinks mounting a DMG as a volume is the same as installing an
> application. Unless one knows to drag/drop the contents TO the APPS
> folder,
> the program is GONE next reboot (not to mention it is a write-only
> partition). An installer, which installs (like every other platform
> uses)
> would be nice.

FileStorm from MindVision does all of these things.

For DMG files that don't require installers, having an alias to the
Applications folder on the DMG itself is handy so the user just drops
the application onto the alias to install.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems - www.bluemangolearning.com
trevor at bluemangolearning.com